Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Birthday Cake

I'm experimenting with how to make Addison's birthday cake. I want to make a ladybug cake so I practiced making a cake today. I have never made black or red frosting so I was worried it wouldn't turn out tasting very good. I made the black frosting from homemade chocolate frosting by adding black food coloring and letting it sit for a few hours in the refrigerator. I make the red frosting from homemade vanilla frosting and adding red food coloring. I also let the red sit for a few hours. It seemed to help darken up the colors by sitting. When I put the black in the frig it was a dark gray and a few hours later it was really black. I was surprised. The red however turned more of a dark pink. I'm going to have to try again on the red. I may use strawberries to start and then add red food coloring. I was worried the cake wouldn't taste very good but I was pleasantly surprised. It was so good!!! I made a small version of my idea of her cake today. The actual cake I am planning on making for her birthday will be much larger. I also think I am going to make the ladybug have a head instead of just a big circle that looks like a ladybug. I have some more experimenting to do. Joe is very excited about all the cakes I will be making. Looks like I will be sending cake to work with him!

No comments:

Post a Comment