Saturday, October 27, 2012

Quiet Book

I made my daughter a quiet book. I had no idea just how much time and work it would be to make. It took me about a week solid working on it. That may not sound like a lot of time but I worked on it as much as a I could during the day and several hours every night when my daughter went to bed. I made the mistake of making most of the book standing over the kitchen counter. My poor 6 month pregnant body was not happy with me and I was very happy to have completed the project.

This is my daughter holding her book. She was so excited and seems to love it!


I ended up using several methods to construct the book. I used my sewing machine, hand stitching and my trusty hot glue gun. The cover ended up being completely glued together since I couldn't figure out a good way to sew it. I think it turned out pretty good.


Each page has something for my daughter to do and each page helps teach her something. My goal was to make something that would entertain her and be educational at the same time. I did a lot of research on Pinterest for different ideas. I tried to take ideas I found and make them my own. There are some incredible quiet books out there!

Here are my pages and what I did...

The first page is a flower page. The flowers are hand sewed (2 layers of felt sewed together). The flowers are attached by Velcro to the page and can be removed and placed into the pocket the stems come out of.


The shapes page and number flower page have a combination of hot glue, hand stitching and machine sewing. The shapes can be removed by Velcro and reattached to their matching shape. The flower petals can also be removed and placed into the pocket created in the flower pot.



The tent and barn pages are my favorite pages and possibly my daughters favorite too! The tent has a zipper and can be unzipped to see the black bear hiding inside. The barn doors open to find three little finger puppet animals to play with. I used the sewing machine for most of the construction of these pages but hand stitched the finger puppet animals.


The piggy bank is another one of my daughters favorites. There is pocket with real money hidden inside. I attached some Velcro to keep the pocket closed. The Christmas tree has ornaments attached with snaps. These are a little tricky to take on and off but I think once my daughter gets the hang of it she will have an easier time.



Next we have Mr. Potato head and snow cones! Mr. Potato head's face comes apart by Velcro to play with. The snow cones are little pockets where the tops can come out. These will help my daughter learn her numbers and what they mean. I used a combination of hand stitching and my sewing machine with these pages.



The last page is a fish tank. The fish can be removed and placed inside the pocket created out of the tank.


I hope my daughter can enjoy this book for a long time and we can hopefully pass it on to our son when he is old enough. I can't guarantee how well it will hold up but I'm hoping with all my glue and sewing it will last through two toddlers. This was a very fun project but also very time consuming. So far my daughter really seems to enjoy it and even asked if we could go home and play with her book when we were out today.

1 comment:

  1. What a great book!

    As someone who used to do a lot of sewing, I can well imagine all the hours that went into it. But, wow, so worth it.

    I'm sure she'll spend many, many happy hours with her book. She'll take it to Show-n-Tell and all her friends will want one.

    Once your children do outgrow it, put it away somewhere safe and pull it out when they're older. My two daughters and I recently shared a great evening going through the treasures I had stored, hidden away.

    Best to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete