Sunday, April 29, 2012

Owl Themed 2nd Birthday Party

Addison's second birthday party was yesterday. Hard to believe she will be turning 2 in just a couple days. Where did my baby go? The party was a huge success. Addison had so much fun with all of her friends. We are so blessed to have such a great group of friends in Kodiak.

I decided this years theme would be owls. I found an owl design online that I liked and went from there. I bought party favor boxes and made everything else. I made a pinata, stuffed owls for party favors, a banner, cupcake toppers and the invitation. I found some really cute cupcake liners from Target in their Easter section and a red two candle. I decided to just make cupcakes, which was a hit with the kids. I made yellow cake cupcakes with chocolate frosting and chocolate cake cupcakes with lemon frosting and I topped them all with sugar crystals. They were yummy!

I made an owl pinata to match the party theme. It was very easy to make! I blew up a balloon and did paper mache over the whole balloon leaving just the tie out. I used glue, water and newspaper for the paper mache. I mixed half water half glue and dipped thin strips of the newspaper in the glue water and then placed them over the balloon evenly. Then I tapped paper in the shape of ears and and wings on the outside of the balloon and paper mached them. After the paper mache was dry I cut the tie of the balloon so the balloon sucked out of the pinata (make sure it is completely dry before cutting out the balloon or the whole thing will be ruined). This will leave a little hole on the top of your pinata which you can cover up with more paper mache. I then painted the owl to my liking. When it was all done and dry I cut a little flap in the back of the pinata and filled it with candy. It was a huge hit with the kids!

I was having a hard time deciding what to put in the party favor boxes. I didn't want to spend money on junk that would probably end up in the trash so I decided to make little owl stuffed animals. I had a bunch of felt so I cut the shapes I wanted and sewed them together. I think they turned out pretty cute! I also put some candy in the boxes with the owls.

I created the banner and cupcake toppers on the computer and printed them out myself. I used my trusty hot glue gun to glue the cupcake toppers together with toothpicks and ribbon to tie my banner together. All in all I think all the decorations turned out great.

I was worried our house would be too small for 20 plus people but it turned out great! It was raining so we had to stay inside but there seemed to be enough room for everyone. We had tons of food, from barbecue chicken sandwiches (done in the crock pot), smoked brisket, pasta salad, fruit and chips. Everyone seemed to have a great time and Addison had a blast! This will be a tough birthday to beat! Guess I better start planning for her 3rd birthday! 


No comments:

Post a Comment