Thursday, October 20, 2011

Cardboard Box Dollhouse


I woke up this morning wanting to make something fun for Addison. I have recently put us on a tight budget so I've been looking for fun things I can make at home to entertain Addison. Today I decided to make a dollhouse out of old diaper boxes. If you are a mom you know how many diaper and wipe boxes you end up with around the house. Ours usually end up in a heaping pile in the garage. My Cardboard Box Dollhouse was super easy and fun to make and I was able to use things I already had around the house. Here are my step by step directions...

Supplies: 3 medium size cardboard boxes, scissors, duct tape, white glue, water, paint brush, wrapping paper, construction paper & fabric (optional), ribbon, hot glue gun.

  1. Cut the tops off of two boxes (try and get two boxes the same size). Using the duct tape tape the boxes together. This makes the two main stories of the house.
  2. Cut the third box to make the roof and tape it to the top of the other two boxes. Should look like a triangle on top.
  3. Once the frame of the house is tapped together you are ready to decorate your house. I used wrapping paper for the outside and construction paper and fabric for the inside. You can use whatever you like to decorate the house.
  4. Mix together your glue and water to make a paint texture. With your paintbrush paint the glue/water mixture on the back of your paper and begin applying to the walls. 
  5. Once your walls are all covered you can use ribbon to cover the edges of your house so it looks cleaner. I used a hot glue gun to apply the ribbon.
  6. Once the house it all decorated let it dry before giving to your child to play. 
Here are the before and after pictures of my house!


1 comment:

  1. WOW! These are great! Can't wait to make some for my niece. I am thinking of making a large house using maybe three of these and putting hinges on the sides so they can swing open to show but be compact for easy storage. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete